From the PR binder

For every paper I receive at every meeting I go to, every
interview I schedule, I kept in a blue binder labeled "PRSSA & ImPRessions." Creative title right? No, but it holds my notes, speaker's information, rough drafts, resume examples, and interview Q & A's from the last year.









Through three pounds of endless information, I will share what I feel is most important. This may take a few posts though. Here is what I will start with:
  • "The idea is Boss." No matter who comes up with it, if it is a good idea, it works. -Matt Dickman (Digital Marketing Strategist for Fleishman-Hillard)
  • Lessons learned from Mary Garrick (Account Coordinator at SBC Advertising) and Hartley Mikus (Account Executive at Fahlgren Mortine Public Relations):
  1. Everyone makes mistakes
  2. Get advice from people you trust at work
  3. Not done learning
  4. BREATHE
  5. Paid to be detailed
  6. Don't make mistakes twice
  7. Be flexible
  • On a hand-out labeled "What We Learned in the 'Real World': Lesson from the FD Team," Shannon Stucky (Assistant Vice President at Financial Dynamics in NY City) stressed the point of being authentic. "Let people get to know the real you and really get to know them, as well."
  • Out of the many bullet points of Mary Cusick's speech (Senior Vice President of Restaurant Marketing for Bob Evans Farms), "developing leadership as you develop" is one that I found most interesting, especially asking someone to be your mentor while looking for opportunities.
  • "Always assume you are responsible for everything. Get everything. Bring everything," says Jamie Heberling (Communications Director for Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray)
  • Sarah Irvin Clark (Irvin Public Relations) says to use creative pitch ideas by "rising above other PR people, building relations and creating fun packages."
  • Find out who you want to talk to get your best opportunity. "The best person may not be the VP of PR," says Todd Sharrock (VP of Public Relations for the Columbus Blue Jackets); it may be someone less in the rankings.
  • Do something you want to do. Alexandra Barkulis (Assistant Account Executive for Finical Dynamics in Chicago) told me in an informational interview, "I feel like I'm actually doing something meaningful and valuable."


Thank you to all the speakers, mentors, pros, peers, and friends that gave me the advice that I can use not only through my academic career, but also my professional career. There is much more information that I have not mentioned in this post as well as much more information I still have to learn. Add your own advice here; I appreciate any comments. Thank you!

(Pictures in this post are from PRSSA and ImPRession's Web sites.)

0 comments: